AZ for Mitt

A blog dedicated to informing Arizonans about Mitt Romney and the campaign for the 2008 presidential nomination.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

By: Mark DeMoss
Townhall
Tuesday, Jan 01, 2008

"Ed Rollins was once Ronald Reagan's political director and now serves as Mike Huckabee's campaign chairman. Last weekend he told a reporter, 'The breakup of what was the Reagan coalition – social conservatives, defense conservatives, and anti-tax conservatives – it doesn't mean a whole lot to people anymore.' He declared, 'it's gone.'" ...

"But regardless of whether he's right or wrong, I'm disappointed to see Mr. Rollins throw in the towel on such a compelling coalition. It may just be that his current client cannot unite the three legs that make up this conservative stool – but I believe there is a candidate who can.

"A year and a half ago, I concluded Governor Mitt Romney was the most qualified person to run for president from either party in my lifetime and decided to support and help him as a volunteer. Mitt Romney has had three undeniably successful careers, heading one of the most successful venture capital and investment management firms in the world, presiding over a profitable and safe Winter Olympic Games just months after the attacks of 9/11, and governing the state of Massachusetts and turning a nearly $3 billion deficit into a nearly $1 billion surplus without raising taxes.

"While there have been presidential candidates who may have more business experience, few had ever governed anything. We have also had candidates with more government experience, but none of them has had any business experience. And no other candidate has presided over an Olympic Games, a role that required handling hundreds of millions of dollars, assembling some 23,000 volunteers and mobilizing one of the largest security operations.

"As an evangelical Southern Baptist and a social conservative, I like the leadership Governor Romney provided our movement in defending traditional marriage between a man and a woman and in opposing embryonic stem cell research. I believe his values are consistent with mine in every way, whether or not his theology is." ...

"As a fiscal conservative I like the fact that Governor Romney understands that the money we send to our state and federal governments is our money, and 'not their money,' as he told Governor Huckabee in one of the candidate debates. Fiscal and anti-tax conservatives will like his record on not raising taxes and fighting, even against great opposition, to reduce the size of government. He decided on his first day as governor to leave office with a smaller, more efficient state government than when he arrived and managed to do just that.

"And as a national defense conservative I like the fact that Governor Romney has supported the President's plan to help Iraq and to give General Petraeus and other military leaders a chance to work their plans and strategies in a complex situation. I like that he understands the threats that radical Islamic jihadists pose to our security, the importance of securing our borders, and the need to equip our men and women in service with the tools they need to succeed on our behalf." ...

"In other words, the so-called Reagan coalition appears to be alive and well within the Romney fold right now. It just may prove to be a winning combination."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Walter Bolts said...

I sent out an email in support of Mitt to friends and family the other day. Some of them forwarded the email and it's been forwarded again and again. I know because I've been recieving threats over it through my email account from people I've never met. I must have hit a nerve somewhere because every Democrat in my family has called me or emailed me about it - they all want to know who I sent it to. I asked people to send it BCC, but my name and email are on all of them...guess I should have expected it. :-) Politics is a rough sport.

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home